Here is a very basic Wiccan altar with an explanation of the objects:
1. God Candle - A candle lit to honor the God of your choice. The God Candle should be white, and the opposite color of the Goddess candle.
2. God Statue or Picture - A statue or picture of the God you relate to most, such as Odin or Cernunnos.
3. Cakes - A traditional food used during rituals.
4. Chalice or Goblet - A cup filled with wine or juice.
5. Goddess Statue or Picture - A statue or picture of the Goddess, such as Freya or Cerridwen.
6. Goddess Candle - A candle lit to honor the Goddess of your choice. The Goddess candle should be black, the opposite color of the God candle.
7. Incense - To create ambience.
8. Athame - The Sacred knife, used to direct energy in creating or erecting the circle or temple
9. Wand - Also used to direct energies.
10. Pentacle - Usually ceramic, the Pentacle is used for grounding the energies.
11. Water Bowl - The water is used for cleansing.
12. Salt Bowl - Used with water for cleansing.
13. Bell - Used to provide ambience or to mark rituals or chants.
Please e-mail me your comments / suggestions!
Altar | Become Ordained | Chakras | Charges of the God and Goddess | Cherokee Wedding Prayer | Color & Element Correspondences | Daily Readings | Deities | Esbats | Free Ordination | Handbook for Chaplains | Handfasting Ceremony | Home | Links | Magickal Herbs | Principles of Wiccan Belief | Redes | Sabbats | The Do's and Don'ts of Witchcraft | Theban Script, The Witches Alphabet | Thirteen Goals of a Witch | Tools of Wicca | Witches Rune